Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Busy, busy weekend

I don't think I had a dull moment all weekend. I was a busy woman. My sister-n-law is going to be having a rummage in a couple of weeks. Since our boys are 11 months apart, Colter has been lucky enough to use some of his cousins hand me downs. Stacy (sis-n-law) and I, decide to get together on Saturday and sort through the clothes that Colter is no longer wearing. I thought this would only take a couple of hours, but apparently, we both had way more baby clothes than we realized. It took closer to 5. Thankfully, Stacy has a great memory and knew what belonged to her. She is also very knowledgeable in rummage pricing, which hopefully will result in a little profit, so I can invest in more baby clothes. Anyone expecting a boy or that has a young boy, will have a lot to choose from.

Around 1am Sunday morning, I decided to go down and check to see if there was any water in the basement. Nothing. When Al got home from work a couple hours later, we had lots of water. We had to wake Tanner up so he wouldn't float away. We were up for a few hours trying to clean that up. That was not exactly on my to-do list for the weekend.

On Sunday, Al and I cleaned house. We got rid of so much stuff. I am not even sure how all of that stuff was in our house. We were throwing things all day long. Clothes, furniture, old baby stuff, car parts, magazines, etc. On occasion, we would stop to watch people rummaging through our junk. I can not believe what some people took. I also was amazed by the enormous number of people checking out our junk. Since Sunday, there has been a steady stream of cars. At least one every 15 minutes. When I first moved in with Al, about 9 years ago, I had some old crap packed away in boxes. Rather than go through it, we just tossed it up in the attic. It was mostly clothes, toiletries, magazines and even some gum. All that stuff was tossed. Pretty soon, there were some college kids rifling through the stuff. It was a hoot watching them. They started digging through those boxes, and found some of my old bras. Yep. And there was some other items that I will not mention. May be I should have looked through those boxes first. Too funny. They found a fake arm and slammed it shut in the trunk. Soon, they were trying on old clothes and chewing the gum. Gum that was probably 9 years old. Yuck! What is wrong with people. Al finally had to go out there and tell them to leave, because they were just tearing through everything and tossing it all over. He picked the mess back up, but yesterday, I see some more rude people made a mess. I am sure the guardsmen are going to love us. Tracy~ tell Mark we are sorry!

Monday, we had to do more running around with house stuff. Too the bank, to the house, to the bank, etc. You get the picture. I thought it would be wise to dispose of the carpet during city wide cleanup. So we got the okay to tear that out of the new house. Thankfully, most of the carpet was only stapled down. Of course, the living and dining rooms were glued. We want to have to floors refinished before we move in. I hope we can find the time to get everything accomplished.

Since it is pretty much a done deal, I guess I can tell you about our new house. We will be closing in a few weeks. We also sold our house, and will be closing on the same day. We found a large old foursquare home. It has four bedrooms, two baths, large front and back porches, kitchen, living & dining rooms, a huge basement, and a huge attic/loft. It is almost like a three story home. It is exactly what we both wanted. It needs a lot of work, but we are definitely up for the challenge. It is a diamond in the rough. We will have a very nice down payment from selling our house. And we will also have a good chunk to hold back to do the most important updates right away. It is going to be great restoring it to its former glory. Even if it takes a few years.

I couldn't be more happy. I am really going to miss our old home, but that does not compare to being able to have a large Christmas tree, birthday parties, holidays, graduation some day, and room to breath. The dogs will get plenty of exercise running around the house. I just hope they don't get lost. I am also excited to feel like we finally have "our" home. Not Al's that I moved into.

Happy Taco Tuesday!

3 comments:

First Time Mommy said...

Wow sounds like you had a CRAZY weekend. Your story about the people rummaging though your stuff cracked me up! I can picture it now..LOL!!

Your new house sounds great! I think it would be neat to get a "diamond in the rough" and fix it up. How exciting :)!

Have a great day!!

Jamie said...

I am very happy for you and excited!! Remember....our rummage sale is this Friday and Saturday and there is LOTS of home decorating things!! :) STOP BY if you can!

Tracy said...

Tacos...yummy!!

I am sure the guard guys had a good time this past weekend. It rained the WHOLE time for them. They probably didn't even noticed all the stuff you guy had. By the sounds of it...other people took care of it.

Good luck with the house. Sounds like fun!!