Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Very grateful

My husband has never really been much of the romantic type. He was a little more thoughtful when we were dating, but I wouldn't call it romantic. His idea of gifts to me are usually related to motorized vehicles. Hitch cover, chrome licence plate holders, 'cuda, dirt bike, helmet, etc. Every once in a great while, he does something that I do not expect, and I usually end up kicking myself afterwards.

A few years ago on my birthday, he gave me two necklaces, both with real diamonds. One of them was black hills gold, the other resembled my wedding ring. I am not sure if he planned it that way, but that's how it appeared. He also had to purchase something related to cars. It was to be a present from Tanner. It was a checkered flag gold pin. I still wear it on my coat. When he gave these to me, I know my reaction was not what he expected. I was totally blown away and I didn't know what to say, so I stood there in silence. He thought I did not like them, which was totally opposite from what I was thinking. I felt really bad. Yesterday, it happened again.

I woke up early, thinking I should go around and touch up some paint on the trim outside. That would be one less thing for Al to have to worry about. I went out to the garage, and he was gone. Uncle pork chop (long story) was out there and I asked him where he went. He said he went somewhere with his mom. I was irritated, because I wanted to get that trim painted and I didn't know where the paint was. I dug around, Uncle pork chop dug around, and we found nothing. Just when I was about to go in and call him, they showed up. Out of the back of his mom's truck, they pulled some antique things that Al had bought for the new house. He had a mirror, lamp and magazine rack type thingy. Once again, my reaction was probably not what he was expecting. I was irritated about the paint, and I must have gave him a look, because later he asked me if I didn't like the stuff. I really did like it, but I guess my mind was somewhere else at the time.

I felt really, really bad when I found out that was not all that he had bought for the house. We had been to an antique store last week, and there were quit a few things I liked. I would not let him buy me anything. He had wrangled his mom into going with him, because he knew I had probably told her about what I really liked there. He bought me a beautiful buffet that I had told his mom about, the mirror that was hanging above it, and two dressers that I had commented about while we were there. All of this for Mother's day. Once again, he shocked the heck out of me.

I guess I don't know how to react properly when someone does something nice for me. Especially when its huge like that. I always feel guilty, and perhaps like I didn't deserve it. Or that money spent could have been used for something that was really needed.

Because of the fact that I am not always so great with expressing myself in person, I just want you all to know, that I really do appreciate you and anything you have done for me. To my husband and my mother-n-law, Thanks you so much! I really do love the stuff and you made my year. I love you guys!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Way to go Al!! What a great husband!!

I so want to see all this stuff!! I bet it is very pretty!

Congrats again on the house!

First Time Mommy said...

How sweet! They surprise us sometimes don't they?! Always when you least expect it or at the worst time possible..but you gotta love it :)!

You will have to post tons of pictures of your new house and all the new things you got for your house once you are all settled! Maybe I should make cookies for a housewarming gift since I always talk about goodies on my site :)!! But not the "Sicko cookies".

Have a great day Miah!!

TO BECOME said...

My husband is a carpenter so down through the years I have got a lot of things made of wood. I have come to love each piece but I probably didnot always react the way I was feeling either. I am always proud of anything anyone gives me as a gift but I have always been used to glass things not wood and that first reaction showed but now he understands and know how much I value each thing he has given to me. we have been married 45 years so we know each other quite well now. lol. connie from Texas

Lori said...

Wow! Your husband is very thoughtful.
I would like to get a diamond necklace or earrings some day.

All your new antique furniture sounds neat. You will have to post some pictures sometime.

Tracy said...

What a great hubby you have there!! I don't get anything "special" from Mark anymore. (sigh) Maybe it's because I buy whatever I want usually.