Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Future swan

Last week was Tanner's annual class musical. I am always excited to go. They always do such a good job. Its fun to see how the kids have grown over the years. Its amazing how much they change in a years time. Its also fun to see who will do what. We all know how unpredictable kids can be. I enjoyed watching all of the kids in his class mingling and I got a few good laughs. They are so cool you know.

There were two girls sitting in front of Al and myself. One of them was heavier set, the other was average, but had glasses, not so nice clothes and her hair was not fixed so great. I couldn't help but notice the girl with the glasses. I knew she was probably a dork, but I also knew that someday, she is going to be a knock out. Most likely, not until after she graduates, but it will happen. I leaned in to tell Al my thoughts and he agreed. A few minutes later, Tanner's class went up to start their musical. Much to my surprise, the girl with the glasses had a solo and she had a beautiful voice.

A couple of days later, I quizzed Tanner about the girl. He said that she just moved here this year. She doesn't have any friends and that no one will even sit in her desk because they think they will get cooties. This saddens my heart, and I told him so. I would be willing to bet, that if the kids would actually get to know the real girl, they would not think she was such a dork.

This reminded me of my very first friend. All through school, she had ugly out of style glass, clothes and hair cuts. Her parents were very simple people and they were very strict. She could never do anything, because she always had house work to do. She had a very great personality, and was so funny, but the kids could not see past the outside. Once she graduated and got out on her own, she learned about clothes, makeup, etc. She is now drop dead gorgeous. I couldn't be happier for her.

I hope the dorky girl in Tanner's class, does not have a miserable time for the remainder of her school years. I also hope that Tanner is not one that would pick on her, but instead do something that might make a difference in her life.

I encourage all of you to go out there and make a difference today. Find someone that you normally wouldn't talk to, and give them a compliment. Not only will you make someones day, but you will feel good too. Have a great day everyone!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does suck being the new kid in class. Thankfully, when my family moved to Florida, I was a senior in high school, so I only had to endure the "pain" for 1 year, but I was miserable. I did dress differently. My hair was not used to the humidity, so it was frizzy and "poofy" all the time. I played trombone in band, so I was definitely labeled a dork. Ahhh...memories! :-)

First Time Mommy said...

Great post Miah! I saw a lot of that in school when I was younger. All it takes is for someone to lead the way and show everyone that being nice to the "new" kid can be very rewarding.

Have a great day!

Jamie said...

If I know Tanner, I am sure he is NOT one of those kids making fun of her. It is just so sad to me that this happens. Someday everything will come full circle for this gal and things will be fine for her.

Tracy said...

I remember being teased in school because I couldn't afford the COOL clothes. I just tried to make the best of it and when I got a job...I tried to catch up with the trends. It was NOT fun. I worry about Dawson being teases because of his glasses in school. I don't want to have to kick some kindergartener's (sp?) behind!!

Amanda said...

What a great lesson and I think your challenge is a virtuous one! I was one of those girls that never really had a boyfriend or anyone “chasing” after her. It makes me chuckle when I think of all the really snotty kids from school who made life miserable are now fat and unemployed. Okay – that was mean and totally not true – well at least not entirely true :)

Lori said...

That is too sad.
Kids can be just so mean!

Paula said...

Thank you from a former nerd with dandelion hair. I'm glad high school is over, although I would go back with the knowledge I have now in a heartbeat. Oh how my priorities have changed.