Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Happy Memorial Day


My sincere thanks to all who have had a hand in allowing my freedom. God bless you all.


I also would like to take this time to tell you briefly about a man that I was very proud to call "grandpa". Every memorial day I think of him. He was always so proud to be a veteran, and every memorial day, he wore his navy hat proudly and honored those who fought and died. He was a Navy Seabee and served our great country during WWII. He had a little black book that he carried with him. It was not full of women's phone numbers, but it did contain information that was important to him. It was a diary of sorts, that he made entry's in, of what was doing each day during the war. In his last years, he would read from his book, and tell you what he had been doing on that day all those years ago. He passed away 9 years ago this year on Veterans Day. If I didn't know better, I would say he planned it that way. It was very fitting.


Hope all of your memorial day's were enjoyable!

4 comments:

Lori said...

Happy Memorial Day to you too.

We had a nice time this weekend spent with family.

Tess said...

Your grandpa sounds like a wonderful man. Yes, the way things happen, such as him passing on Veteran's day are more than coincidence! Hope you had a wonderful day.

Jamie said...

I hope you had a great weekend!!

Great story, thanks for sharing. He sounds like a wonderful man!!

Tracy said...

Wonderful story...I am also so very proud of the soldiers in my life!!